Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Perfect Chunky Tomato Basil Sauce

With four children, spaghetti with red sauce is a staple.  When I started Paleo, I knew it was going to be hard to get them on board.  And it is, but we are taking baby steps.  The hardest part is that in the past I always made my own pasta, so I was worried that finding an acceptable gluten free option might end up being a problem.  Fortunately there are quite a few good brands out there with minimal ingredients.  I stick with organic, and prefer brown rice for the rest of the family.  For me I usually julienne long strips zucchini or yellow squash, or I cook up a spaghetti squash.  The options are endless as long as the vegetable is long.  

Anyway, a perfect, quick tomato basil sauce is hard to beat.  

2 tbsp. olive oil
4 clove garlic, minced
32 ounce can whole tomatoes in tomato juice
1/4 c. minced parsley
1/2 c. chiffonade basil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Over medium heat in a large sauté pan, cook garlic until is starts to golden and is very fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Be careful, you don't want garlic to burn.  Add the tomatoes and break apart with a wooden spoon.  Increase heat to high and then bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring once in a while, about 15 minutes or until liquid is almost all reduced.

Add parsley, basil and balsamic, cooking for another 2-3 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.








No comments:

Post a Comment