Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Flourless Chocolate Torte

My name is Ginnie and I am cooking nerd.  I love kitchen gadgets.  I have quite the collection.  I think my two favorites are my propane torch (a real one, not the crappy "kitchen" one") and my iSi Gourmet Whip.

Sunday evening we had a few friends over for dinner, and in preparation for The 21 Day Sugar Detox that I am doing, I figured I might as well go out with a bang by having what is the best Flourless Chocolate Torte...ever.

The recipe is not of my own creation, but I adapted it to make it paleo.  I have seen some other recipes out there, but there is nothing compared to this one by Cooks Illustrated.  Sublime perfection.

Anyways, you can't eat this torte without cream.  However, it was Sunday, and I didn't have any on hand so I couldn't run to the store.  In the past I have done the coconut milk whip cream.  You know, put the can in the fridge overnight, take out the thick part, and then whip it?  It's good, and it works okay.  But I thought I should give it a try in my iSi.  So I just chilled the can, shook it well, put it in the iSi, and it turned out perfect!  Just like whip cream foam.  I was jumping for joy!  (Now you get why I am a  kitchen nerd!)

10 eggs
1 lb. 4 oz. dark chocolate (I used 70% Valrhona)
1 1/4 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. water
1 tbsp. espresso powder
Kettle of boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place a rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven.  Oil a 9" springfoam pan on the bottom and sides, then place a parchment circle in the pan and then oil it again.  Wrap foil around the lower half of the pan evenly.  Place the pan in large roasting pan.

Mix espresso powder and water together.

In large stand mixer, whip eggs on medium fast speed until they pale and thicken, about 8-10 minutes.  
Meanwhile, in a large boil placed over simmering water, melt the chocolate, coconut oil and espresso together.

When the chocolate mixture is smooth, remove from heat and fold in 1/3 of the eggs.  Fold in the next 1/3 and then the last 1/3.  Place the mixture in the springfoam pan, smooth the top and the fill the boiling water in the roasting pan until it comes half way up the sides of the spring foam.

Place in the oven and cook 23-27 minutes, removing from the oven when the center temperature reaches 140 degrees.  It may seem underdone, but that is okay.  As long as it is at the 140 degrees it will turn out perfectly.

Remove from the oven and the water batch, and place the torte on a cooling rack.  Cool it until it reaches room temperature.  Cover it and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight preferably.

Remove sides and slice with a warm knife.

Serve with coconut whip cream and berries of your choice.

Enjoy!















No comments:

Post a Comment