Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Portabella Pizza

One thing I really miss with paleo is pizza.  We have a gas station here that makes out of this world taco pizza.  But I try my hardest to not order pizza because I'll eat half of it just by myself?  Don't believe me?  You bet I would.

 Anyway, I had a craving for some so I thought I could one up a traditional pizza.  And since I happen to love portabella mushrooms I knew they would satisfy my craving.

Portabella Pizzas

1 28 ounce can of tomatoes
1 tsp. fennel
1 tbsp. dried oregano, basil, and thyme
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
4 large portabella caps, gills removed
1 lb. ground pork
1 tsp. dried thyme, rosemary and coriander
1/2-1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 c. Italian parsley, minced

In a small saucepan combine the first six ingredients.  Mix well and bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and add the tomato paste, once again mixing well.  Cook until the sauce thickens to the consistency of pizza sauce.  Salt and pepper to taste.

For the sausage, mix the pork, spices and oil together.  Crumble and fry in a medium pan and set aside until you are ready to assemble the pizzas.

Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.  Arrange portabellas on a sheet pan and then top with sauce, sausage, parsley and more sauce.  Bake 5-10 minutes or until mushrooms are done.











No comments:

Post a Comment