Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sweet Potato Fritters

One vegetable I really didn't appreciate until I was older is the yam/sweet potato.  Even during the holidays when sweet potatoes were covered in brown sugar and marshmallow I didn't like them.  Considering I have a huge sweet tooth, that is saying something.  Like any vegetable though, if you mentally tell yourself you are going to like them, you will.  Now I love them, and I appreciate the subtle sweetness that goes well with earthly flavors like thyme and rosemary.

A quick dinner the other night needed an accompaniment and fritters were the perfect answer.

2 c. shredded sweet potato (I have a one that has four different sides, one of which is a small circle.  If you only have a large one, I would recommend a quick steam so the sweet potato gets cooked enough before you fry them or they won't cook all of the way.)
1/4 onion, shredded
2 eggs
1 tbsp. thyme, dried
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. almond flour

Place all of the ingredients in the bowl, with the eggs to the side.  Lightly mix the eggs together and then fold with the rest of the ingredients.  Adjust the salt and pepper if needed.

In a medium saute pan, heat 2 tbsp. coconut oil.  Add a large ice cream scoop full of the potato mixture, pat down so they are even in thickness, and then cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Remove and place in warm oven and then finish remaining mixture, adding coconut oil if needed before cooking.








No comments:

Post a Comment