Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Grilled Mahi Mahi Caesar Salad

Warmer weather, for the time being at least, means a lot more greens in this house.  I really don't think that you can end an 80 degree day better than with a great salad for dinner.  Relaxing on the patio is essential too.

Here's another ode to St. Lucia.  This was one of my favorite meals, so much so that I went to the restaurant twice just to have it.  BEST MAHI MAHI EVER.

One of my local loves is Allspice, a quaint little spice shop in the East Village.  I get in trouble in that store.  It's dangerous for someone like me because I feel just like a kid going into a candy store.

They had some new vinegars at my last visit and I was super excited to see a Mango White Balsamic.  And before you think that there is no way you would use a fruity vinegar for Caesar dressing, think again my friends.  It was a perfect balance of sweet and savory.

If you live in Des Moines, go there.  Soon.  You won't regret it.  Well, maybe your bank balance will.

1 lb. mahi mahi, cut into even size strips
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
Malden sea salt and freshly ground pepper

3 heads romaine, shredded by hand or lettuce knife into bite size pieces

1/2 c. excellent quality olive oil
1/4-1/3 c. mango white balsamic vinegar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1-2 cloves garlic, minced*
2 anchovy fillets, minced

Prepare grill by preheating.  Coat fish in olive oil and generously salt and pepper.  Grill over medium high heat until done, about 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of your fillet.  Set aside while you prepare the vinaigrette.

Put all the dressing ingredients in a bowl big enough to use an immersion blender.  (I'm telling you, this is essential for a perfect creamy dressing!)  Using low setting on blender, mix until thick and foamy.  It won't take long.  Adjust oil and/or vinegar as needed.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Cut the mahi mahi into bite sizes pieces and place on top of romaine.  Pour dressing over the top, lightly pepper and add a quick few shavings of Parmesan if you allow dairy in your diet.

*A side note on garlic.  I find that if I remove the peel and lightly blanch it in boiling water, that you get a smoother taste and that it doesn't overpower what you are eating.  I use this method anytime garlic is not being cooked in a recipe.





No comments:

Post a Comment