Friday, April 26, 2013

St. Lucian Jerk Chicken

One of my many treasures brought back from the lovely island of St. Lucia was a super size bag of jerk seasoning from the Castries market.  I love good jerk, and this really is as authentic as you can get.  I scoured each stand to make sure I was getting some that was fresh and local.  First up, jerk chicken.  

It's  a toss up between pork and chicken as my fave for jerk so I knew I couldn't go wrong with chicken legs.  

I would have grilled the night I made this, but it was raining...again.  Freaking rain and cold.  But hey, yesterday it hit 61 so we MIGHT be on to summer already.  Iowa doesn't do spring anymore.

3 lbs. chicken legs
Juice and zest of 2 limes
1/4 c. olive oil
2 tbsp. jerk seasoning
2 tsp. salt

Mix the lime juice, zest, olive oil, jerk and salt together well.  Add the chicken legs rub with the seasoning so they are coated well and the put in a container to marinate.  Marinate at least 4 hours or overnight preferably.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees, oven rack in the middle.  Place the chicken and marinate in a 9 x 13 pan.  Cook for about 20 minutes, then turn pieces over and brush marinade from the bottom of the pan over each piece.  Bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until they are done.


Finish with a squeeze of lime.



No comments:

Post a Comment