Friday, May 24, 2013

Balsamic Chicken and Asparagus

One of the better things about spring has to be the abundance of fresh asparagus.  I know I posted about it earlier, but I love it.  I am even starting to see a few shoot up in my garden now that we are getting a little more moisture.  Yeah!

 I also have a love affair with balsamic vinegar.  I have at least 8 different varieties on hand, but my hands down favorite for all purpose is the 25 year aged one from Williams Sonoma.  It's thick, sweet and has perfect acidity.  This is one that I just drizzle on vegetables as a dressing.  You don't even need the other components for a vinaigrette.  And it works perfectly for this dish.  Plus, I truly think balsamic and portabello's were meant to go together.  Similar to my love affair with beets and goat cheese...can't wait for my beets to be ready!!

2 tbsp. coconut oil
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 bunch asparagus, sliced into 1 inch pieces
2 portabello mushroom caps, diced
1/2 c. chicken stock
1/4 c. balsamic
2 tbsp. ghee

Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.  Add the chicken, cooking until chicken is almost done, about 10-12 minutes.  Remove the chicken, add 1 tbsp. additional oil if needed, increase the heat to medium high and add the onions.  Cook until the onions start to caramelize.  Add the asparagus and mushrooms, cooking an additional 5-7 minutes until the asparagus is crisp tender.  Add the chicken stock and reduce by half, about 5-10 minutes.  Add the chicken, balsamic and ghee, reduce heat to medium, and stir until sauces thickens, about 3-5 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.


1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete