Monday, May 6, 2013

Coconut Syrup

One of my favorite syrups of all time is a buttermilk based, buttery sugary concoction with a bit of coconut extract.  I adapted it quite a bit for the 21 Day Sugar Detox I did, but since it was Sunday morning I thought I would try to treat myself a bit.  Maybe it was the insane amount of jealousy I was experiencing knowing a few friends were enjoying a to die for breakfast from Snooze in Denver.  Go there, you must.  

Anyway, I try to stay away from overly sweet items for breakfast, because for some reason they seem to set the tone of my day.  But again, I was so envious I thought I'd try to make something a little reminiscent of my favorite dish there, the OMG French Toast.  (So not even CLOSE to paleo, but so incredibly worth the cheat!)

It was perfect!  The balance of sweet, savory and tart was spot on if I do say so myself!

The pancake recipe is here.  Of course, I omitted the blueberry and just used fresh raspberries as a filling in between each pancake.

Coconut Syrup

1/2 c. almond milk
1 c. coconut butter
1/3-1/2 c. raw honey to taste
pinch of salt

Gently heat the milk and coconut butter over medium heat in a small sauce pan.  Whisk until the coconut butter is incorporated into the milk.  Add the honey, again whisking until it is mixed well and starts to thicken.  Finish with a pinch of salt and mix again.  Will keep for about one week.  Reheat slowly over medium heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment