Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Chicken and Greens Rolls

One of the favorite things of my week is my delivery of Prudent Produce.  I love getting a variety of organic produce delivered to my door.   Plus, it challenges my menu for the week, forcing me to come up with new, creative ways to enjoy the produce I get!

That was the case for me last week...I had leeks, collard greens, and swiss chard to name a few.  It's easy to cook the greens down and have them accompany a dish, but I wanted them to be the star.  Add a little protein in the way of chicken and bacon, and, really, you couldn't go wrong!

So here is a new, unique way to eat your greens!

Chicken & Greens Rolls

6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2' pieces
2 leeks, sliced into rounds
1 bunch swiss chard, roughly chopped, cutting at the end of leaving and reserving stems (should you choose to.  I use them when I make vegetable broth)
1 bunch collard greens, roughly chopped, green removed from vein
4 chicken breasts
2 tbsp. olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large saute pan, cook bacon over medium heat.  When it is golden brown, about 5-7 minutes, remove the bacon but not the grease, from the pan.  Add leeks, and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes.  Then add the remaining greens and reduce heat to low, stirring every few minutes, until the greens are cooked down and soft, about 15-20 minutes.  

While the greens are cooking, pound the chicken breasts so they are thin and evenly thick.  Generously salt and pepper.

When the greens are done, add back in the bacon and mix well.  Scoop green mixture onto each chicken breast and spread evenly.  Roll the chicken and then secure with toothpicks.

In a large fry pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and sear chicken until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.  

Put pan in oven and bake between 15-25 minutes until the chicken is done.  

Allow to rest for a few minutes and then slice and serve.  Drizzle with a splash of balsamic if you are so inclined!

Bon Appetit!





No comments:

Post a Comment